Characteristics of Effective Board Members
- Approaches responsibilities in the spirit of a director on behalf of the members and the industry at large.
- Maintains loyalty to the organization with a higher loyalty to the members.
- Welcomes information and best available advice, but reserves the right to arrive at decisions based on own judgement.
- Honors commitments.
- Supports board decisions (internally and externally) even when he or she may disagree with the majority opinion. Promotes unity within the organization.
- Offer opinions honestly and in a constructive way.
- Respects the opinions of others.
- Avoids any possibility of conflict of interest.
- Understands legal and fiduciary responsibilities.
- Gives respect and consideration to other board members and President. Listens as an ally. Focuses on issues, not personalities.
- Offers constructive feedback.
- Asks informed questions.
- Clearly understands her/his responsibilities.
- Willing to actively serve on at least one committee.
- Comes to meetings on time, well prepared and actively participates.
- Understands and is committed to the organization's mission.
- Speaks with one voice when representing the organization.
- Acts as an advocate for the organization and its members.
- Has expertise in areas necessary to assist the board and the organization.
- Contributes knowledge.
- Willing to give time.
- Recognizes that her/his time and energy are limited, and takes care not to make any commitment that cannot be fulfilled.