PostedJuly 11, 2017
KING FM is one of America’s most highly regarded classical music stations and has been on the air since its founding by broadcasting pioneer Dorothy Stimson Bullitt in 1948. Now reaching over 300,000 listeners per week, KING FM has always been at the forefront of programming, technology and community service as the voice of classical music and the arts in the Pacific Northwest.
Since transitioning from commercial broadcasting in 2011 to become a public radio station, KING FM has demonstrated a strong operating model, rich programming, and a focus on community partnerships. Nearly 100 live and local broadcasts are aired annually and five online channels are garnering more than 80,000 streaming sessions each week. KING FM also provides a free app for mobile phones and tablets. Planning is underway for moving to a new facility in 2020 with capital fundraising beginning in 2018.
The General Manager
KING FM seeks a dynamic individual with the highest ethical standards to become the next General Manager. The successful candidate will have a record of leadership in managing staff and working with governing or advisory boards of directors, a firm grasp of today’s media landscape and the regulatory framework for public radio, knowledge of classical music, demonstrated success in fundraising and budget management, the ability to represent KING FM in the local community, a sense of humor and a passion for the work.
This is a strategic and collaborative leader who can maximize the talents of staff, board and supporters in the fulfillment of KING FM’s mission as the voice of classical music and the arts in the Pacific Northwest. It is hoped that the person selected could begin work as General Manager at the beginning of 2018.
- Creates a collaborative and strategic relationship with the Board of Directors to whom the General Manager reports in the development of policies, annual goals, budgets, fundraising, special projects, long-range planning, and the fulfillment of KING FM’s mission.
- Recruits, manages, evaluates, and encourages KING FM’s core management team, helping to establish a positive and collaborative culture within KING FM and to fulfill the organization’s goals.
- Envisions and plans how KING FM and its related services can grow and prosper in a rapidly changing media and technological environment.
- Represents KING FM in the local community by explaining new initiatives; reaching out to listeners, community leaders and partners, corporate and foundation underwriters; and, responding to concerns and suggestions for the development of KING FM’s service.
- Has responsibility for fundraising team. Raises major gifts for annual operations, capital campaigns and coordinates with board members and others.
- Maintains ultimate responsibility for managing KING FM’s operating and capital budget and all regulatory and legal requirements for operation of the station and its related activities.
- Represents KING FM within the public media industry including the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, Station Resource Group, distribution networks, and other stations.
Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher level of education and broad knowledge of arts and culture, including specific knowledge of classical music, its history, styles and performers.
- At least 10 years experience in executive leadership in media, preferably in public media or broadcasting, including budget management and fundraising or sales.
- Experience in creating and implementing a compelling vision for a media organization.
- Track record of meeting financial goals and key business objectives.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills and ability to work collaboratively.
- Knowledge of broadcasting, digital and social media and how these outlets can be used for public, noncommercial service.
- Experience in working with governing or advisory boards of directors.
- High ethical standards, a positive outlook, sense of humor, energy, enthusiasm and passion.
Candidates are invited to apply in confidence between July 11 – August 11, 2017 by emailing one PDF document not to exceed 10 pages that includes a cover letter, resume and list of three references to:
Susan Harmon, Chair
Search Committee, KING FM Board of Directors
Candidates may be invited for a confidential interview in Seattle with the Search Committee composed of KING FM board members.
KING FM offers competitive compensation and benefits.
Classical KING FM 98.1 is an equal opportunity employer