PostedMarch 5, 2018
KUER’s Director of Programming and Promotion is responsible for all programming, promotion and audience development for one of the country’s most successful and innovative public radio stations. This person oversees national programming and helps create innovative approaches for the creation and promotion of original content and new programming on KUER’s multiple platforms.
The Director of Programming and Promotion reports to the General Manager and supervises staff in operations, promotion, podcasting and digital engagement. This individual works collaboratively with KUER’s General Manager and News Director to create, articulate and advocate the station’s content strategy and vision and maintain KUER’s ethics and standards.
• Establish metrics to track and evaluate KUER’s audience building efforts for all programming.
• Develop and implement on-air and online promotional strategy, campaigns and assets that maximize listening and achieve audience targets for broadcast and digital properties (web, mobile, additional digital streams, podcasts, etc.).
• Advance public service and business goals and support KUER’s aspiration to lead the community in innovative content.
• Lead by example in writing and producing, but also assigning and supervising the creation of promotional content.
• Oversee a $1 million national programming budget
• Serve as KUER’s first contact to national networks (NPR, PRI, BBC, AMP, PRX, etc)
• Oversee KUER web and mobile asset creation, harmonizing online and on-air content and strategies.
• Collaborate with content creation teams to launch new programs and elevate engagement with existing and potential audiences in measurable ways.
• Partner with others in the organization to develop strategies and tactics that diversify, grow and engage audiences.
• Work with the Director of Development on short and long-term plans and specific agendas for KUER fundraising and membership engagement.
• Participate in station fundraising activities, including working with membership and development staff in the creation of fundraising themes and messaging.
• Assist the newsroom with special coverage and program details.
Bachelor’s degree in a related area or equivalency (2 years related work experience may be substituted for 1 year of education). Four years of progressively more responsible management experience. Background knowledge of hiring department’s area of specialization in order to analyze, plan and draw conclusions for recommendations to superiors. Demonstrated leadership skills in planning and directing employees and processes in order to effectively monitor and develop subordinates and to ensure the smooth operation of department. Master’s degree in a related area may be preferred.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Preferred candidates will have relevant experience. They will be able to speak to the times they have:
• tracked ratings and other broadcast and digital audience data.
• developed and administered budgets to support audience building strategies and campaigns.
• managed operations, marketing and promotion staffs.
• managed digital audience engagement.
• responded to press inquiries about programming.
• evaluated programming proposals, including for podcast and other digital projects.
• managed programming schedule additions, cancellations and changes.
• written and produced promotional copy, including custom program tags.
• worked with outside marketing and advertising firms on station image and program promotion.