News & Public Affairs Reporter/Producer
PostedMay 11, 2017
The News & Public Affairs Producer/Reporter is a multi-media journalist with solid entrepreneurial reporting skills who can produce balanced and engaging content on issues of importance to the Rochester community. In addition to providing enterprise, investigative and daily news content, the Producer/Reporter contributes to WXXI’s citizen engagement efforts, social media endeavors, and department housekeeping needs.
1. Provide reporting of news for WXXI’s radio newscasts, as well as for online and on-demand distribution. News reporting could include any of the following or a combination of the following:
- Gathering sound.
- Producing investigative reports
- Producing enterprise reports
- Producing billboards with sound bites, short wraps and voicers
- Producing Q & A’s
2. When appropriate, produce video clips and/or produced video packages for WXXI’s television news and public affairs programming, as well as for online and on-demand distribution.
3. Provide additional material to complement or promote audio and video news and public affairs content, such as separate news copy, photographs, and related web links.
4.Where necessary and appropriate, serve as on-air television/video talent for WXXI television programs.
5.Actively cultivate sources throughout the community, taking special care to include under-represented and diverse voices. In addition to the more traditional experts, citizens should be seen or heard as often as possible.
6.Work collaboratively with external and internal partners on special projects such as citizen engagement initiatives, election night coverage, and major breaking news events.
7.Train as fill-in host for occasional or emergency morning or afternoon drive needs.
8.Contribute to department housekeeping needs such as archiving and daybook maintenance, and participate in membership drives, auctions, and other WXXI fundraising and events as required.
9.Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent
- 3+ years of newsroom experience, at least one year as a reporter
- Ability to work a flexible schedule (i.e., occasional evenings and weekends) as needed. Where possible, advance notice given.
- Flexibility to produce a variety of multimedia content on deadline
- Demonstrated ability to learn and implement new media tools and emerging technologies
- Experience in audio and video production and digital photography preferred
- Thorough knowledge of federal broadcast regulations and standards