- Not everyone belongs on the radio. All callers must be screened.
- Make sure callers are talking about the topic being discussed.
- Help the caller boil-it-down to a statement or question that communicates his/her point succinctly.
- Screen to make sure your show doesn't turn into someone's private soapbox.
- Tell callers that when they get on the air, they should get right to the point.
- Screen so you can alternate caller viewpoints to make your show more balanced and engaging.
WNPR Caller Screening Guidelines and guidelines developed by Oregon Public Broadcasting’s Think Out Loud, provide two examples for how to get the right callers on the air.