Chief Technology Director
PostedMay 11, 2017
The Chief Technology Director generally oversees media and information technology, broadcast and digital distribution, engineering, facilities and infrastructure services. More specifically, the Chief Technology Director is responsible for the planning, management and overall supervision of the Engineering departments (TV and Radio), TV and Radio Operations, IT & Enterprise Systems, Media Engineering, Systems Engineering & Integration and Facility Management for ideastream. The Technology department ensures the highest possible quality of broadcast and production of on air programs and service to external and internal customers. This position has four direct reports: Manager, Information Technology, Sr. Systems Administrator, Web; Chief Engineer, and Administrative Assistant.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
1. Responsible for the performance of Technology department functions, management team members and organizational infrastructure (i.e. systems, processes and equipment) necessary to support day-to-day technical operations for all ideastream staff.
2.Responsible for developing and motivating managers who are responsible for overseeing the day-to-day functions of facilities, radio engineering & operations, TV engineering & operations, IT & enterprise systems, and systems engineering & integration, including production support. This also includes an in-house bargaining unit.
3. Responsible for project based cost accounting and administration of opportunities and service to customers.
4. In collaboration with the Senior Management team and with the input of key technology stakeholders and consultants, creates a vision for ideastream’s technology platforms in order to support the ideastream Strategic Plan, including digital asset management, video and audio archives and new workflow arrangements to enable multimedia content acquisition and editing.
5. Creates and implements department vision including setting long range and short-term department priorities.
6. Creates and manages department and capital budgets, consults with the Development staff on funding for long-term capital needs and, in consultation with department managers, directs the selection and purchase of all technical broadcast, media production and enterprise IT equipment.
7.In collaboration with the Station Managers of WVIZ, WCPN and WCLV, oversees the broadcast operations of ideastream’s Television and Radio technical facilities and Statehouse News bureau as well as core infrastructure for Digital services. 8.Represents ideastream where necessary with distribution partners such as NPR, PBS, and cable providers as well as with potential clients and vendors and identifies strategic partnerships or opportunities wherever possible.
8.Secures and maintains up-to-date information on media technology innovations, guiding, informing and educating management and non-management staff.
9.Works with Technology management staff to identify and implement staff training opportunities as well as needs, to ensure superior performance.
10. In conjunction with the ideastream COO, monitors and reports on all federal and state requirements as they affect ideastream stations.
11. Attends industry workshops and seminars as required to keep current with changing technical environment.
12. Performs miscellaneous duties and supports on-air fundraising as requested.