Central Utah/Growth, Wealth & Poverty Reporter
PostedSeptember 7, 2022
KUER is looking for an ambitious reporter to cover statewide issues of growth, wealth and poverty as well as diverse central Utah politics, culture and more. The successful candidate will be based in Utah’s Provo-Orem metropolitan area and be part of KUER’s statewide team of curious and compassionate journalists.
In 2020, Provo-Orem area was the 8th fastest growing metro in the country. It’s home to Brigham Young University, owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Utah Valley University, which has the largest student population in the state, and sits between agricultural lands and a burgeoning tech industry. As the state continues to grow, this area is a microcosm of how Utah deals with cultural and economic change. Seeking to explain this transition, the reporter will be responsible for producing compelling and thought-provoking daily stories and long-form features across radio, web and other digital platforms.
- One to three years of previous professional journalism experience
- Sound news judgment and knowledge of journalistic best practices
- A portfolio demonstrating strong interviewing, broadcast and digital writing, fact-checking and audio production skills
- An understanding of public radio, radio broadcasting and AP Style
- Ability to explain complex economic and political concepts and processes to a lay audience in a conversational, accessible way
- Excellent communicator, team player and problem solver with demonstrated human relations skills
- The ability to proactively find and report stories on a wide-range of topics and locations
- Ability to meet deadlines while maintaining high quality journalism
- A passion for creative storytelling that serves distinctive communities, including a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion to align with station goals and culture
- Ability to build trust and be mindful of diverse voices on their team and in the community
- Willingness to learn, grow and innovate