PostedOctober 22, 2021
OPB is a leader in public media, serving diverse communities of the Northwest with fact-based, in-depth news and information about politics, the environment, science, arts, history, and cultures; business, education and more. Powered by the generous support of members, OPB seeks out a variety of voices in our communities and lifts up authentic stories of the people, places, events and issues of the region, providing context and a deeper understanding. OPB’s independent journalism and programs are available at opb.org, on OPB Radio and OPB TV. Follow us on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Facebook.
OPB is hiring three part-time (.25 FTE) Hosts to join the KMHD team. If you have a passion for celebrating jazz, experience with radio broadcasting and want to engage an audience through audio and written forms, this role might be for you! As a Host, there’s flexibility to your schedule when you will pre-record your program and you will also do live studio work. This is an opportunity for you to develop and execute your own vital musical passion, including selecting and mixing music, producing, editing and voice-tracking in the KMHD studio.
KMHD is licensed to Mt. Hood Community College in Gresham, Oregon and operated by OPB.
KMHD’s Host position serves as a presenter during daytime shifts, which involves programming music, announcing, maintaining program continuity for the broadcast schedule, and operating/interacting with the digital broadcast board and other broadcast equipment. This position involves both on-air work that is pre-recorded and live studio work. The position occasionally produces content for KMHD and OPB websites, and attends KMHD/OPB events.
60% - Pre-production
- Develop music program philosophy for assigned shift in partnership with Program Director that celebrates jazz and subgenres to delight and expand our audience’s horizons.
- Produce, edit and voice-track program in the KMHD production studio for air at a later time including mixing and programming music as well as recording mic breaks.
30% - Live/on-air
- Serve as on-air host during the assigned shift adhering to all FCC regulations and OPB standard operation procedures, which involves:
- Maintaining program continuity for the evening/overnight
- Monitoring broadcasts during shift
- Programming music for air via digital library or with physical media (CD, Vinyl).
- Operating/interacting with digital broadcast board and other broadcast equipment, including automation system. Responding to broadcast emergencies when appropriate following internal protocols.
- Assisting with live and recorded on-air fundraising.
10% - Write, create or conceptualize stories that can live on any of KMHD’s digital platforms. Stories can exist as interviews, reviews or commentary on music culture in the Jazz Without Boundaries brand.
This position works in KMHD’s studios at OPB and is on air in varied shifts on weekdays or weekend days. Most work is done in the office, studio, or other indoor locations. Occasional work is done offsite. Moving equipment of up to 40 pounds may be needed.
- Experience as on-air talent on radio.
- Experience conducting both live and recorded interviews for radio.
- Authentic and engaging on-air scripted and non-scripted skills.
- Strong knowledge of jazz history and knowledge of funk, soul, R&B, world, and hip hop, as they relate to jazz.
- Experience using digital audio recording and editing equipment.
- Experience in the operation of broadcast equipment.
- Fluent use of standard computer software tools in business applications.
- Experience writing and talking about music.Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to show initiative within the parameters of the strategies within KMHD.
- Able to make appropriate decisions under stress.
- Experience working with digital libraries.
- Able to work well alone and as part of a team.
- Enthusiasm for the mission of OPB and for the role of public media in a changing media environment.
- Public radio broadcast experience.
- Experience in online media (video, audio, writing, other) production.
- Familiarity using social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and others.
- This position reports to KMHD Program Director.
- The hiring range for this nonexempt position is between $20 and $22 per hour, depending on qualifications.
This position is open until filled.