Station Manager - 90.5 WESA
PostedSeptember 24, 2019
Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting seeks an exceptional and experienced leader, skilled with people and expert in developing and implementing an effective NPR news & information programming strategy, to serve as Station Manager for 90.5 WESA – Pittsburgh’s NPR News Station. Reporting directly to the President and CEO, this individual will lead multi-platform news and information services that inform and serve the communities of western Pennsylvania, grow broad and diverse audiences, build audience engagement, and inspire both individual and institutional support of our work.
90.5 WESA is the largest and most listened-to radio news and information service in Pittsburgh. Honored with dozens of national and regional awards, our journalism plays a critical role in the 21st Century rebirth of one of America’s great cities.
- Supervises programming, newsroom, operations and all related staff for 90.5 WESA.
- Grows radio and digital listening audience to 90.5 WESA.
- Develops 90.5 WESA into an effective, reliable and efficient journalistic enterprise in and for the communities of Western Pennsylvania;
- “Owns” the creative vision and “stationality” of 90.5 WESA.
- Identifies, recruits, hires and coaches staff, providing direction, constructive performance coaching, mentorship, and on-going feedback;
- Oversees original and acquired programming and scheduling, based on disciplined analysis (ratings, research, trends, etc.). Develops overall programming strategy, evaluates programming options, and negotiates licensing agreements;
- Works as part of the Leadership Team (including the CEO, VP, Audiences & Development, WYEP Station Manager, VP, Finance and VP, Human Resources) to ensure that all programming effectively supports our goals and mission;
- Works with the VP, Audiences & Development to develop a strategy that maximizes audiences and public service;
- Works with the Director, Digital Content to develop a strategy to serve audiences on digital and mobile platforms;
- Holds primary responsibility for operation of 90.5 WESA in conformance with FCC rules and regulations, company policy and applicable federal, state, and local laws; protects station license.
- Prepares and successfully manages departmental budgets;
- Develops and directs community engagement activities, including appearing as a representative of both 90.5 WESA and of Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting at local events and forums;
- Promotes innovation and smart risk-taking to keep content fresh and relevant;
- Ensures that all areas of Content are in constant communication with internal and external "customers" in order to provide superior service and ensure consistent, effective communication with clear expectations;
- Ensures staff has taken/passed/maintained all company programs, plans, policies and training (e.g., RBI, Payola/Plugola);
- Builds and fosters a collaborative environment, across the 90.5 WESA staff and the rest of Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting;
- A collaborative leader who consistently works well with others, demonstrating respect for the diverse constituencies within Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting, within the community, among our stakeholders and within the public media system;
- Makes difficult decisions and/or changes in timely fashion in a collaborative and transparent manner;
- Deals confidently, competently and calmly with the stresses that come in a journalistic enterprise, including meeting all deadlines, maintaining high journalistic standards, dealing directly and effectively with ambiguity and managing competing priorities;
- Applicants must possess 7+ years significant and successful senior-level oversight of radio and digital content development and production, original journalism, acquisitions, programming and broadcast operations.
- Clear understanding of the changing role of public radio as a primary source for timely news & information, in addition to its more traditional role providing contextual and feature reporting;
- A successful track record of leading, building, mobilizing and managing creative teams.
- Significant experience with strategic programming, content and business disciplines, to provide a successful offering in the rapidly changing and highly competitive media universe.
- Extensive knowledge of and experience with audience research tools and data resources, along with the ability to make disciplined decisions based on analysis and sound judgment.
- Strong knowledge and point of view about the digital media landscape, including well thought-out positions on trends, opportunities and category direction, as well as direct cross-platform expertise.
- Deep knowledge of journalistic principles and ethics.
- Strong management and leadership skills anchored in a clear and concise articulation of vision, goals, strategies, values/culture, and roles and responsibilities.
- Exceptional degree of emotional intelligence, displaying a collaborative, transparent and communicative work style that results in excellence of execution and a supportive/effective work environment.
- Ability to think both tactically and strategically, and to work creatively through the ambiguities that present themselves in a creative environment.
- Detail-oriented, highly organized, and accurate and able to meet tight deadlines.
- Flexible, creative, entrepreneurial and assertive in achieving goals.
- Excellent team leadership and delegation skills; can set goals & expectations for staff, provide honest feedback, solid coaching and manage performance.
- Superior oral and written communication skills, with the ability to adjust communications style based on audience needs.
- Proven interpersonal skills reflected with an ability to interact professionally with all levels of the organization, both internally and externally;
- Extensive knowledge of FCC broadcast rules and regulations; knowledge of all applicable federal, state and local rules and regulations.
- Possesses a passion for news and information and commitment to the unique mission of public broadcasting.
- An excitement about and a commitment to the mission of Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting, and a strong desire to serve the community.
STATION - BACKGROUND
Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting is an independent, locally owned community-supported public media organization - home to Pittsburgh’s NPR News station, 90.5 WESA, and adult album alternative 91.3 WYEP, serving more than 2 million residents of Pittsburgh and the surrounding communities of Western Pennsylvania. Our mission is to “create and distribute trusted content, build connections, and strengthen our community through public media.”
- 90.5 WESA was launched in 2011 (in partnership with Pittsburgh’s philanthropic community) with an NPR news format. Its mission is “to work for the public to inform people in ways that engage and inspire them to create dialogue about community issues and stories.”
- 91.3 WYEP was founded in 1974 as an all-volunteer community licensed radio station. It broadcasts a diverse offering of adult alternative music, provides community education programs, and presents a large number of highly visible events and concerts in the region. Its mission is to “enrich the community through musical discovery, expression and education.”
In addition to radio programming, our stations play an active role in engaging the community through online and mobile services and in-person events, and have a prominent voice in Pittsburgh’s civic and cultural affairs.
Each week more than 200,000 southwestern Pennsylvanians listen to our broadcasts, and tens of thousands more engage with our content through our websites and mobile digital services.
Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting Corporation offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package that includes health, dental vision, and life insurance benefits, a 403(b) retirement plan with generous Company matching contributions, paid vacation and holidays, maternity and new parent leave, and a workplace culture that is fun, diverse and innovative.
This position is available immediately, and the search for candidates may be terminated without notice. No phone calls, please.
Applicants are invited to send a cover letter and a detailed resume to email@example.com. In your email, please let us know how you heard about the position.
Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting Corporation is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.