WHYY serves the Philadelphia region with trusted journalism, eye-opening storytelling and intimate local arts programming. Our curiosity and commitment to this community is what drives our programming. It’s also what drives our hiring.
Below you’ll find an employment opportunity in the fast-paced setting of the Philadelphia region’s leading public media provider. The award-winning professional staff of WHYY sets the bar high in television, radio and online. Whether it’s preparing a program to air or a behind-the-scenes role in support, all positions are vital to continuing—and growing—our impact in our community.
WHYY offers a voice to those not heard, a platform to share everyone’s stories, a foundation to empower early and lifelong learners and a trusted space for unbiased news. Learn more about our Social Responsibility Program. It’s how we live.
About the Role:
This position researches and reports on news events and public affairs in Philadelphia and Pennsylvania related to education; provides special features and reports for use in broadcast, podcast, and digital platforms.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Research writing for broadcast.
- Provide compelling, relevant story ideas, including those that can resonate on a statewide level across Pennsylvania.
- Develop and write breaking news, features and interviews.
- Perform editing, voice work and production of audio pieces.
- Coordinate and co-produce special projects, including long-form podcasts.
- Cultivate new contacts with sources and news makers.
- Work closely with other reporters, sharing information and stories.
- Handle general assignment reporting as needed.
- Prepare stories for digital platforms.
- Take still photos and videos for web use.
- Work odd hours as news requires.
- Use social media to cultivate contacts and promote work.
- Maintain regular and predictable attendance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.