PostedJuly 6, 2022
WHYY serves the Philadelphia region with trusted journalism, eye-opening storytelling and intimate local arts programming. Our curiosity and commitment to this community is what drives our programming. It’s also what drives our hiring.
Below you’ll find an employment opportunity in the fast-paced setting of the Philadelphia region’s leading public media provider. The award-winning professional staff of WHYY sets the bar high in television, radio and online. Whether it’s preparing a program to air or a behind-the-scenes role in support, all positions are vital to continuing—and growing—our impact in our community.
WHYY offers a voice to those not heard, a platform to share everyone’s stories, a foundation to empower early and lifelong learners and a trusted space for unbiased news. Learn more about our Social Responsibility Program. It’s how we live.
About the Role
This specialty covers all aspects of buildings, stewardship, operation, repair, and general administration associated with managing WHYY facilities. Functions range from leadership of various business units and budgetary oversight, specialized facilities services, and assistance to users of the buildings. It also includes supervision of employees who perform maintenance, renovations or direct services to the buildings, infrastructure, grounds, or equipment on WHYY premises. A Facilities Specialist oversees specific functional duties or programmatic responsibilities associated with facilities maintenance, where specialized expertise is required; functions include customer service activities, often relating to programs related to building inspection/condition assessment and the recommending of repairs or upgrades of facilities or infrastructures, or providing customer liaison or contact point for service issues; designs, develops and administers various programs, and analyze data, monitor budgets and costs, recommend equipment selections, perform feasibility studies and provide technical expertise in the assigned program areas; participates in strategic planning, creating efficiencies, assuring quality, setting policy or procedures, keeping records, and may engage in providing access to facilities, all while performing within WHYY and departmental policies; supervises assigned employees, which includes planning, prioritizing and scheduling work tasks or action plans, leading teams, providing training, and assuring all aspects of a safe work environment for assigned employees and customers.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee, develop, and implement moderately complex programs/functions; ensure safety plans are included in the plans; responsible for developing and maintaining record-keeping systems for these programs; develop specific program-related reports, analyze results and make recommendations; examples include preventative maintenance, pest management, fleet vehicle management, custodial scheduling and monitoring, roof maintenance plans, HVAC management.
- Establish, implement, and communicate various procedures for your assigned area (preventative maintenance procedures, QA/QC procedures, testing, etc.)
- Meet with vendors, suppliers, and manufacturers to discuss products and equipment; recommend the purchase of product lines and equipment consistent with established WHYY procedures and processes.
- May provide inspection and evaluation of building equipment and building systems to verify the effectiveness of the preventive maintenance program by doing random checks to ensure the equipment is being maintained according to the plan.
- Oversee training program for assigned area; develop quality control and inspection programs; conduct training programs; develop and present training materials.
- Regarding project or process requests, review suggested solutions and alternatives; make recommendations.
- Evaluate proposed changes/modifications to new and existing program/system design; provide critical analysis of data; approve and implement changes as appropriate.
- Hire, train, supervise and evaluate assigned staff and technical-service employees.
- Develop and establish action plans and priorities with programmatic direction and multiple work unit involvement; working within constraints and resource limitations, execute priorities.
- Participate and make suggestions toward the development of the work unit and crew level plans in support of the overall strategic plans.
- Utilize administrative data to run various reports; analyze data and make recommendations as appropriate; develop, implement, and maintain computerized tracking and information gathering systems and methods of analyzing data.
- Adhere to and function within established WHYY policies and procedures, assuring all aspects of a safe working environment for employees and customers; evaluate proposed changes/enhancements to new or existing policies or procedures; approve implementation as appropriate partners and customers.
- Help resolve problems and issues, resulting in clear and accurate operational plans. Communicate all project details with appropriate internal and external resource.
- Explore, identify and participate in initiatives, processes and procedures to improve operational efficiencies while assuring quality within WHYY policies; analyze and approve improvement initiatives; make sure implementation is initiated.
- Interact with various internal and external customers to explore, identify, and participate in initiatives, processes, and procedures to improve operational efficiencies and assure quality within WHYY policies.
- Evaluate proposed changes and enhancements to new and existing continuous quality improvement practices; approve and implement as appropriate.
- Evaluate proposed enhancements for improvement to maintain awareness and promote an environment that recognizes the value of diversity in the workplace.
PERIODIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Building support and protection, when necessary, in support of the Facilities, Corporate Services, and Security Departments.
- Event and meeting set-up in coordination with Corporate Services.
- After business hours emergency response when on call.
- Snow removal scheduling and support.
Education: Bachelors degree or comparable experience.
Experience: Minimum of five years in a facilities role. Advanced knowledge of working with a busy, complex calendar and scheduling all components necessary for successful event/meeting.
Technical Skills: Able to work comfortably with the Microsoft Office Suite of programs. And to learn and utilize WHYY software applications including Building Automation System, Energy Benching Marking System, Card Access and ID System, and any new systems as needed.
*This position is represented by SAG-AFTRA.
*All WHYY employees are required to receive the COVID-19 vaccination. Proof will be required upon hiring.