PostedApril 4, 2023
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, invites applications for the position of General Manager for its NPR/Classical public radio station, WUOT 91.9 FM. WUOT is a prominent component of the University’s nationally recognized College of Communication & Information. The general manager reports to the Dean of the College of Communication & Information.
Since 1949, WUOT has served listeners throughout East Tennessee and parts of Kentucky, North Carolina, Georgia, and Virginia. WUOT FM has a primary format of news, classical and jazz music. WUOT-2 is available on HD Radio™, Internet radio and on the web with primarily an all-news format.
We seek an experienced leader to continue and improve WUOT’s service mission to the community and university. Knoxville is a great place to live and work. Located in the heart of East Tennessee with the Great Smoky Mountains for a backyard, Knoxville offers the charm of a growing Southern city with opportunities and activities that range from green energy initiatives to thriving culinary and music scenes. Citing both affordability and quality of life, U.S. News and World Report ranked Knoxville among the 100 best places to live for 2021–22.
At the University of Tennessee, you’ll find a welcoming and supportive environment focused on learning and growth. In addition to generous health and retirement plans, the university offers employee tuition waivers and discounted tuition for qualifying employees and family members at state colleges and universities.
The general manager is a leader who understands and appreciates the connections among industry and higher education, staff supervision and leadership, journalism, fund development and student learning and mentoring.
The general manager is responsible for directing all administrative, programming, technical operations, and fundraising activities. This includes oversight of budget, personnel, strategic planning, and compliance with FCC regulations, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting and National Public Radio requirements. The general manager is expected to collaboratively develop and execute a strategic plan that positions WUOT and a wide range of content to take advantage of technology-based opportunities recognizing changing audience habits in broadcast and digital media.
Primary areas of responsibility and accountability include:
· Strategic Visioning
· Fundraising, Community Engagement and Outreach including building relationships with campus and community partners.
· Staff and Student Management
· Programming Development
· Academic Leadership and Student Engagement
· Financial management and organizational compliance
The successful candidate will possess stellar management skills that lead to successful oversight of all operational and administrative functions of the station and an inclusive environment in which staff and students from diverse backgrounds have the opportunity to excel. Program development will enhance and extend the University’s land grant mission to educate and foster a more civil society and will maintain WUOT’s historical community service mission by assuring that content offerings serve and reflect the community at large .
Candidates should demonstrate the ability to lead staff recruitment, diversity, equity, inclusion, compensation and professional development practices toward greater organizational capacity and effectiveness.
Required Education & Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in communications, business, public administration, journalism, or related area.
· Experience typically gained by five years of leadership in a senior level management role in a similar organization.
Preferred Experience and Skills
• Demonstrated capacity to provide leadership in a complex and dynamic organization.
• Successful fund development and community engagement experience
• Demonstrated expertise in developing and implementing complex budgets that include multiple and variable revenue streams.
• Demonstrated capacity to lead the development and delivery of high-quality programming and community engagement initiatives.
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity, transparency, and inclusiveness in the work environment and programming.
• Successful public or commercial broadcasting experience with knowledge of broadcast services and technology.
• A thorough understanding of and commitment to journalistic standards and editorial integrity.
• Leadership and communication skills expressed within the organization and across the community.
• Commitment to staff success.
• A thorough understanding of FCC regulations and reporting requirements, including FCC-EEO requirements or equivalent.
• Capacity for success within a university or similar environment.
NETA Consulting is pleased to support WUOT in this search. Confidential inquiries or nominations may be directed to Malcolm Brett (Malcolm@NETAConsulting.org) or Tom Rieland (Tom@NETAConsulting.og).
The position is open until filled, but the initial review of applications will begin no later than May 1, 2023. The University of Tennessee provides a competitive salary and excellent benefits.
For full consideration, please submit a formal application and include a cover letter, resume and names/contact information for three (3) professional references. We will not contact references without notifying applicants in advance. Applications and support materials should be sent to Apply@NETAConsulting.org
The University of Tennessee is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Section 504/ADA/ADEA institution in the provision of its educational and employment programs and services. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for its employment and admission without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran