On-air host and producer
PostedDecember 21, 2018
Join the winning WYEP team in Pittsburgh, described by the New York Times as “a city that has transformed itself into a vibrant cultural and artistic hub, all while remaining true to its Rust Belt roots”. With weekly listenership of more than 100,000 people and more than 35,000 social media followers, WYEP is one of the top performing non-commercial Triple A stations in the country.
WYEP’s Evening Mix host is on the air Monday through Thursday from 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm. The Evening Mix host provides outstanding audience service by crafting the playlist, producing feature material and conducting interviews for on-air and on-line distribution. The Evening Mix host presents timely, relevant and necessary information to meet the needs of the audience. This position works closely with the Director of Content and Programming to produce high quality programming that enhances the listening experience for broadcast and digital audiences. The Evening Mix host makes public appearances and represents WYEP at station events and community gatherings. This position is also responsible for creating and producing digital content for distribution on the station website, partner websites and other platforms.
- Host the Evening Mix and provide WYEP’s listeners with a professional and engaging on-air presentation. Provide important time-sensitive information as public service to the evening audience.
- Perform all necessary tasks related to operating broadcast equipment, including running the audio console, building playlists and managing the automation system during on-air shift.
- Adhere to all FCC requirements and perform all technical functions associated with on-air radio operations. Perform all required underwriting and promotional elements as logged, monitor broadcast for quality control and document any discrepancies or irregularities.
- Produce feature material for air and for inclusion on WYEP’s website and other digital platforms.
- Participate in regular music meetings with programming team to suggest new music for weekly rotation.
- Participate in on-air fund drives including on-air pitching, producing, and contributing effective fundraising material.
- Conceptualize and create new digital content such as audio features, video content, podcasts and/or blog posts for distribution on WYEP’s website and other platforms.
- Curate existing digital content and package for distribution and promotion across platforms.
- Make public appearances at WYEP station events, local concerts and community gatherings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong communication skills and ability to communicate effectively internally, externally and with listeners;
- Possess a keen understanding of excellent audience service;
- Deep understanding of mission oriented media;
- Strong computer skills and experience using digital editing software, radio automation programs such as Wide Orbit or ENCO, Microsoft Office Suite and website content management systems;
- Excellent on-air presentations, fundraising and interview skills;
- Deep knowledge of and passion for contemporary music across a wide spectrum of artists and familiarity with AAA format, preferably in public media;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage many competing projects;
- Warm and compelling personality, ability to interface comfortably with listeners, funders, donors and board members. Comfort with public speaking and being on stage;
- Understanding of and proficiency with digital audio editing and some digital content production and programming;
- Excellent on-air presentation
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as required.
- 3-5 years of on-air hosting experience, preferably in public media, and deep understanding of public service media.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent practical experience
- Experience with music scheduling software and understanding of music programming best practices.
- Audio editing and production experience, video editing experience a plus.
- Honesty and integrity in all dealings.
- Enthusiasm for the missions of PCBC and its stations.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. This position will require offsite work at various locations in the city and surrounding areas. Typical office hours are Monday – Friday, 2:00PM-10:00PM, however, alternate hours and weekend work are occasionally necessary.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
PCBC adheres to all ADA requirements and will make reasonable accommodations in accordance with the law.