SENIOR PRODUCER, NEW DAILY PODCAST
PostedOctober 26, 2022
This podcast is a joint production of WYPR and The Baltimore Banner.
WYPR is a long-standing, reliable source of news, captivating programming and community engagement in the greater Baltimore and Maryland region. The mission of Your Public Radio Corporation is to inform, connect and even challenge the listeners we serve in the metropolitan Baltimore area and the State of Maryland by broadcasting programs of intellectual integrity and cultural merit to provide an unbiased perspective of the events of today and to enrich the minds and spirits of our audience.
The Baltimore Banner is a new non-profit digital news source for the Baltimore region whose mission is to be an indispensable resource that strengthens, unites and inspires our Baltimore community. We will accomplish this through trustworthy, quality journalism that tells the varied stories of our people, delivers local news that readers are willing to support, and holds our leaders accountable.
Your Public Radio and The Baltimore Banner are looking for a senior producer to launch and lead an exciting new daily news podcast about the Baltimore region. This new podcast is the first major joint project of the groundbreaking partnership between WYPR and The Banner. The senior producer will work collaboratively with the news teams at WYPR and The Banner to deliver essential news each morning in accessible and conversational style, helping listeners make informed decisions about their lives.
The new podcast will have a strong sense of place, reflecting the unique attributes of Baltimore and showcase the combined editorial talent and coverage of WYPR and Baltimore Banner reporters.
The ideal candidate brings an entrepreneurial spirit, leadership skills, excellent editorial judgment, and strong audio production experience. The senior producer will lead a small team, including a host, and two assistant producers, and work with other contributors to the program. The senior producer will generate story and interview ideas; arrange interviews; and write program copy, as well as production material. The producer will have the opportunity and responsibility to lead production from concept through delivery.
- Set the tone and vision by contributing, encouraging, and shaping story ideas.
- Supervise podcast production team.
- Serve as primary decision-maker for podcast, ensuring it is relevant, fresh, substantial, and engaging.
- Determine topics for coverage and host interviews.
- Work is close partnership with the host, providing editorial, creative, and delivery coaching to ensure they sound conversational, memorable, and credible.
- Develop and manage production processes and workflows.
- Oversee team meetings.
- Provide constructive feedback and notes to team.
- Develop positive relationships with reporters and editors at WYPR and The Banner;
- With help from host and producers, book guests, conduct research, and write scripts that are smart, informative, and accessible and help listeners feel more connected to Baltimore and surrounding region.
- Oversee sound design, work with producers and other staff to imagine and execute sound design concepts.
- Work with other stakeholders to ensure content has audience appeal.
- Liaise with other departments to propose and grow podcast visibility and audience.
- Manage multiple projects, deadlines and responsibilities at once, keeping editors, hosts, producers and others updated.
- Brainstorm promotional opportunities via owned, earned, and paid media.
- Assess and report metrics.
- Other duties as assigned.
Reporting To This Position:
- Host, assistant producer, producer.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- At least 5 years journalism experience including 3 years experience in content development and production for podcast, terrestrial or satellite radio, or similar audio medium.
- Passionate about Baltimore and the value of local journalism.
- Excellent editorial judgment, writing ability, and organizational skills.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to persuade others.
- Strong relationship-building and collaboration skills.
- Able to plan and produce content under tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of the podcast industry, including distribution, analytics, audience development strategies, and emerging trends.
- Project-management skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as a strong contributor to a team.
- Proven ability to contribute to a positive, diverse, creative, high-performance culture
- Cultivate and support an inclusive and equitable workplace culture.
- Strong judgment and understanding of journalistic standards, practices and ethics required.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience.
- Deep knowledge of the Baltimore market.
- Experience launching a new show and working with high-profile talent.
- Knowledge of NPR news and public radio.
- Proven record of telling stories for diverse communities.
- Knowledge of podcast analytics platforms (e.g., Chartable, Podsights) and website analytics platforms (e.g., Adobe Analytics).
- Change/Adaptability/Flexibility: Adapts to change in a fast moving, live news environment., is open to new ideas, takes on new responsibilities, handles pressure, adjusts plans to meet changing needs.
- Communication: Communicates well both verbally and in writing, participates in regular feedback sessions, promptly shares information and ideas with others throughout the organization as appropriate, has active listening skills, can negotiate and persuade as needed.
- Results Focus/Initiative: Targets and achieves results, sets challenging goals, prioritizes tasks, overcomes obstacles, accepts accountability, sets high standards and takes responsibility, provides leadership/motivation.
- Collaboration: Working collaboratively with others to solve problems, achieve common goals and positive results. Listens to others and values opinions. Is open with other team members and expresses disagreement constructively. Seeks opportunities to work on teams as a means to develop experience and knowledge.
WYPR offers a competitive benefits package.
Applications can also be mailed to Business Manager, WYPR, 2216 N. Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21218.
Minorities and women are encouraged to apply. WYPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Position open until filled. No phone calls, please.