PRPD, the Public Radio Program Directors Association, seeks a President & CEO to head the leading membership association representing and supporting quality content and audience service throughout the public radio media system.
This is a hands-on management position, structured to enable a working partnership with members and PRPD’s Board of Directors to ensure the success of existing and new initiatives. This highly visible role influences and informs the issues and innovations facing public media content, practitioners, and distribution strategies.
About the Organization
PRPD was founded with a vision to help program directors, content producers and programming decision-makers in public radio to hone their professional skills, share best practices, and advocate for the particular concerns that affect the delivery of quality content and listener experiences to public radio audiences nationwide.
PRPD is a vital part of the public radio community. With reach into both metro and rural markets across the country, PRPD members produce, distribute, or support national and local news, talk, and music programming.
PRPD is known for its annual Content Conference, which convenes hundreds of program executives, content producers, and distributors to address the strategic and tactical issues facing public media practitioners. The organization also offers ongoing Knowledge and Education initiatives. PRPD’s Board and President work at the national level with NPR, program producers, partners, and those who influence policies that directly impact all aspects of programming and the audience experience
About the Role
The President & CEO of PRPD plays a critical role as leader, relationship-builder, and ambassador in the public media landscape. This is a hybrid position that carries industry stature, along with the hands-on, day-to-day tasks of managing a non-profit trade association with limited infrastructure and resources. This is a virtual role with geographic flexibility.
Key responsibilities include:
• Implement the organizational strategy to work with the PRPD Board to articulate and validate the mission and vision, and set its priority activities, and determine how best to deliver value to members.
• Prioritize Membership and Community Relations to promote membership in the association. Maintain strong participation and satisfaction levels by delivering and enhancing services and program offerings that address member needs.
• Produce, market and manage the annual PRPD Content Conference and Year-Round Programs to ensure a current and relevant agenda.
About the Ideal Candidate
Experience should include:
• A versatile background in public media content creation or programming that affords knowledge and credibility within the public media system.
• Current knowledge and experience with the issues facing stations and content creators as they expand digital platform use. This includes experience with multi-platform content delivery and storytelling - including podcasts, video, streaming, and audience analytics.
• Background that blends digital media and broadcast ventures with a passion for delivering the mission to all audiences.
• A career progression that brings perspective from markets of various sizes would be valuable.
• Record of leading successful strategic planning processes that established a visionary, holistic, system-wide institutional identity and united stakeholders around energizing institutional goals.
• Experience promoting and directing initiatives that align day-to-day operations with the long-term interests and values of members, and expand and deepen engagement across the system.
• Demonstrated ability to creatively analyze, frame, and solve problems that benefit PRPD’s stakeholders.