Running for the Board
The PRPD Board of Directors provides the vision, direction and policy leadership for the organization. To give you a better idea of what is involved in board service, please read the Position Description for Board Members.
How Many Seats are up for Election in 2019?
There are four (4) seats to be filled in our 2019 election. One seat is open due to term limits and three board members are running to maintain their seats on the board.
How Do I Become a Candidate?
Candidates must be employed at a PRPD member station or organization or be an Individual Member. Only one person per membership entity may serve on the board at any one time. Those interested in running for the board in 2019 must submit a letter of interest as outlined below. The applications materials must be received by PRPD no later than Sunday, March 3, 2019.
What Do I Need to Include in my Letter of Interest?
To run for the board we ask all candidates to provide the following materials:
- A one page resume
- A headshot for use on the election ballot/website
- A letter that includes your responses to two questions:
- What attributes and contributions would you bring to the PRPD Board of Directors?
- What are the most important issues facing public media professionals today in serving and developing audience?
Send your letter, resume and photo, by email to email@example.com . These materials will be posted for voting members as part of the election balloting. All required material must be received no later than midnight ET on Sunday, March 3, 2019.
When Will the Election Take Place?
- The initial slate of nominations will be announced on March 5, 2019.
- Online Voting will begin on April 4, 2019 and close midnight ET on April 12, 2019 with winning candidate announced Tuesday, April 16, 2019.
When Does the Board Meet?
The PRPD Board of Directors meets four times per year.
- Strategic Planning Retreat/Spring Board Meeting (April 24-26, Minneapolis)
- August - 1 day meeting prior to PRPD's Annual Conference (Minneapolis, August 26)
- Winter and Summer board meetings are held via teleconference
PRPD pays all board member expenses for the spring retreat and meeting. Unless there are extenuating circumstances, all board members are expected to attend the PRPD conference meeting at their own expense but PRPD will cover conference registration fee and room for one night. Newly elected members will be expected to attend the Spring Board Retreat April 24 (travel day), 25 (full day), and 26 (half day) if at all possible.
What Does the Board Do?
The PRPD Board has several working committees and board members are expected to participate actively in at least one committee. Committee meetings are generally held via teleconference. Standing committees include the Finance, Nominating and Governance, Knowledge and an Executive Committee consisting of PRPD’s three officers (Chair, Treasurer and Secretary) who are elected for two-year terms by the full board.
If You Miss The Initial Nomination Period
Those not endorsed in the initial round can still appear on the ballot, provided that PRPD receives seven signatures of support for your candidacy by Monday, April 1, 2019. Email notices of support sent directly from your supporters to firstname.lastname@example.org will be accepted as a signature.
If I Have Questions, Who Can I Contact?
If you have any questions concerning the election process or PRPD, please contact Board Nominating and Governance Committee Chair Kerri Hoffman at email@example.com or Jody Evans via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.